Group Art Show: Alpine Sky 2.0
Celebrating the natural beauty of the Upper Sky Valley
Show Dates: July 8 – August 31, 2023
Submissions deadline: Friday, May 26th, 2023
The outstanding beauty in the surrounding mountains inspires local artists – such as paintings of the majestic Mt. Index, photographs of the bald Eagle living on the Skykomish River, or sculptures of black bears made out of local hardwood. With this show we celebrate both our local environment and our local artists. We are seeking submissions from members of the Sky Valley community that celebrate the unique flora, fauna, and landscape features of the Sky Valley and the surrounding national forests.
Call for Participation
For our group art show Alpine Sky 2.0, we are seeking submissions from members of the Upper Sky Valley community that celebrate the unique flora, fauna, and landscape features of the Upper Sky Valley and the surrounding national forests. We seek works in the form of visual art, such as paintings, photography, new media, sculptures, textiles, artistic artisan crafts, and so forth. We will accept 1 to 3 pieces per artist/artisan.
- Submitted work should be thematic, celebrating the local flora, fauna, and landscapes of the region. We will also accept a limited number of prints, cards or other new media and artisan crafts for our gift section of the gallery.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
Our selection panel is composed of the three founding members of Sky Artworks, Shelly Farnham, Beanne Hull, and Karen Molesky. Submissions will be reviewed based on the demonstrated quality of the work, once the above eligibility criteria have been met. Priority will be given to Sky Artworks members, residents of the Sky Valley (including part-time residents or “weekenders”).
The exhibition will run for the months of July and August 2023. Selected artists, teams and groups receive curatorial direction, communications/PR support, and access to other Sky Artwork production resources. Artists are responsible for the delivery, installation and deinstallation of their work. Once installed, Sky Artworks’ insurance will cover the value of the pieces in the case of damage or theft during the exhibition. Exhibiting artists are welcome (but not required) to sell their work, if so Sky Artworks takes a 40% commission (or 35% for Sky Artwork members). The gallery is open Thursday through Sunday, 12 noon to 5pm.
- Deadline for submissions: Friday, May26th, 2023, midnight PT
- Notifications for acceptance: May 29, 2023, midnight PT
- Installation: July 1–5, 2023 (subject to change)
- Opening reception: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 5–8pm (subject to change)
- Takedown: Thursday and Friday, August 31–September 1, 2023 12-5pm (subject to change)
How to Submit
Send a submission letter as an email to info[at]skyartworks[dot]org by
Friday, May 26th, 2023, midnight PT, with the subject title:
“[your name] — Submission for “Alpine Sky 2.0”
Include these bulleted queries and your responses in your letter:
- Contact information
- Full Name:
- Phone number:
- About you.
- 1 to 3 sentence description of your background as an artist/artisan and your current style of work.
- 1 to 3 sentence description of how you are engaged in the Sky Valley community.
- Show your prior work, either as a link to an online portfolio, or attach three images of prior work. You may also attach a resume or artists’ statement, however a resume is not required.
- About your work in this show.
- Up to three representative images of the work you hope to include in our group show. This may be either images of the actual pieces, or images of similar work to what you will be creating in time for the show.
- For each piece, provide the title, size, medium/materials, and any special installation requirements.
- Include a brief description of how the work you hope to include in the show fits the theme Alpine Sky.
About Sky Artworks
Sky Artworks is a non-profit community art space and gallery in the business district of Skykomish, WA. Our mission is to promote the creative community in the Upper Sky Valley by providing exhibition, educational, and production resources for artists, artisans, and other creatives. Our art exhibitions feature works by local artists and artisans. Learn more at https://SkyArtworks.org