A group art show celebrating art in everyday objects
Show dates: November 4 thru end of December 2023
Submissions deadline: October 6, 2023
Quilting, knitting, jewelry-making, woodworking, sewing, ceramics – these crafts occupy a special place in our lives, where specialized skills are used for the production and decoration of practical, everyday objects. In the Upper Sky Valley, the long winter nights and mountain air inspire a lot of creativity in the realm of crafts – to the point, a quilt, a bowl, a necklace, cross over into becoming unique works of art in themselves. With this show we celebrate that crossover between art and crafts, providing an opportunity for local artists and artisans to sell work particularly suitable for gifts during the holiday season. “The Art of Crafts” art show will be hosted in conjunction with local holiday markets and a holiday party.
Call for Participation
Join our Sky Artworks art show for November and December – The Art of Crafts! We invite submissions from local artists, artisans, and crafters that celebrate the intersection of art and craft. What in your arsenal of craft projects takes an everyday object to the next level? We seek works in any form or medium you might use for your craft – ceramic and glass, fiber and textile, flowers, leatherwork, houseware, fashion, needlework, paper and wood, stone and metal. We will provide a maximum of five feet of wall space or display shelves per participant, so in your submission please consider how you would display your piece(s).
- Submitted work should be some form of craft.
- We will also accept a limited number of items for our long-term gift section of the gallery.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
Our selection panel is composed of the three founding members of Sky Artworks, Shelly Farnham, Beanne Hull, and Karen Molesky. Submissions will be reviewed based on the demonstrated quality of the work, once the above eligibility criteria have been met. Priority will be given to Sky Artworks members, residents of the Sky Valley (including part-time residents or “weekenders”).
The exhibition will run for the months of November and December 2023. Selected artists receive curatorial direction, communications/PR support, and access to other Sky Artwork production resources. Artists are responsible for the delivery, installation and deinstallation of their work. Once installed, Sky Artworks’ insurance will cover the value of the pieces in the case of damage or theft during the exhibition. Exhibiting artists are welcome (but not required) to sell their work. If so Sky Artworks takes a 40% commission (or 35% for Sky Artwork members). The gallery is open Thursday through Sunday, 12 noon to 5pm.
- Deadline for submissions: Friday, October 6, 2023, midnight PT
- Notifications for acceptance: Friday, October 13, 2023, midnight PT
- Installation: October 26, 27 or the 29th.
- Opening reception: November 4th, 2023, 5pm–8pm
- Takedown: December 28 and 29th, 2023
How to Submit
Send a submission letter as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by
Friday, October 6, 2023, midnight PT, with the subject title:
“[your name] — Submission for “The Art of Crafts”
Include these bulleted queries and your responses in your letter:
- Contact information
- Full Name:
- Phone number:
- 1 to 3 sentence description of your background as an artist, artisan, or craftsperson, and your current style of work.
- 1 to 3 sentence description of how you are engaged in the Sky Valley community.
- Up to three representative images of the work you hope to include in our group show. This may be either images of the actual pieces, or images of similar work to what you will be creating in time for the show.
- For each piece, provide the title, size, medium/materials, and any special installation requirements.
- Show your prior work:
- a) provide a link to an online portfolio illustrating prior work, or
- b) attach three images of prior work. You may also attach a resume or artist’s statement, however a resume is not required.
About Sky Artworks
Sky Artworks is a non-profit community art space and gallery in the business district of Skykomish, WA. Our mission is to promote the creative community in the Upper Sky Valley by providing exhibition, educational, and production resources for artists, craftsmen,and other creatives. Our art exhibitions feature works by local artists and artisans. Learn more at https://SkyArtworks.org